Sunday, March 11, 2007

Ladies of Retirement


OK I watched a really great oldie yesterday.
"The Ladies of Retirement". It was really scary. Well it probably was not that scary, but it scared me!!
Made in 1941 staring Ida Lupino, Edith Barrent (those bug eyes of hers really freak me out!!) and Elsa Lanchester (Bride of Frankenstein)
Ida Lupino is REALLY GOOD! I want to see more of her films (and boy she made her share of movies!). You never hear about her, but she is really an amazing actress. There is this one scene with her, when she is about to kill her boss, she is going to strangle her and she creeps up behind her and brings the rope up to her face. She freezes there for a second and gets this crazy look in her eye and it is just brilliant.
Interestingly, Ida later became a writer producer and director. She directed her first film in 1949!! There were not many female directors around during that time and she is widely considered a pioneer for women in this field. She went on to direct many TV shows during the 50s and 60s. she was also the only women to direct episodes of "the Twilight Zone". One of my all time favorite shows! And she directed episodes of Bewitched and Gilligan's Island.

I freakin love old movies! What am i gonna do without TCM when I am in JAPAN! Someone help me! I am so dorky!

No comments: