Tuesday, April 17, 2007

The Mecca of Cute






This weekend I worshiped at the shrine of Snoopy and hung out with the Harajuku Girls! Me and S went to Harajuku on Sunday.


Sunday is when all the kids come out and dress in crazy cosu-pure at the entrance of Yoyogi Park. We also shopped around; there are a ton of fun stores in Harajuku. Kiddyland is probably the best place on the planet, it is a 7 floor cuteness Mecca! Each floor has different souvenirs from different characters; Disney, Pink Panther, Sanrio, Random Japanese characters, Totoro, My Little Pony and so on. You can buy everything from umbrellas, to toilet paper holders. It's AWESOME!!! We also went to the huge Snoopy store (probably the biggest in the world) then the 5 floor 100 yen shop ($1 store).


Something I found really strange about Japan is that people wear surgical masks if they are sick. So you will see people in public wearing them ALL the time. Even if they are all dressed up, old, young, EVERYONE. At first I really thought it was weird. But now I totally get it. And if I see someone like sneeze on the train without and mask on, I get all grossed out and upset. Because you are in such close proximity to people all day, especially on train and at rush hour (which is when I travel, there are not pushers on the platform, but it feels like it!!!) it's out of courtesy that you cover your mouth if you are sick. Maybe I will wear one when I get sick!!!!! I will take a picture if I do. I should. I will.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Marjoire, there is no way I'm coming to see you in japan. I would run up every credit card I had and then how would I get it all home?! I want to go shopping in JAPAN!

Anonymous said...

Love your blog!

Dad

Anonymous said...

OH my gosh those pics are so so cute! marjie u should dress like them!

I miss talking to u so much! when i have time i want to send u a long ass email about everything thats been going on!

love ya and miss ya!