Thursday, April 26, 2007

gray jelly, GAGGING!

I am hating the school lunch lately. Everyday I dread 12:20. It is my own personal culinary torcher chamber! Oh man, I am shuttering just thinking about it. There is this weird vegetable/mystery that they seem to serve in everything. (dry heaving) You fellow ALTs tell me if you know what it is. Its gray and jelly like and has black speckles. I can not handle it even on my plate let alone ingesting it. (Hold on, I need to take a minute)

I was in the grocery store today and had to leave cause I was getting nauseous at the sight of all the school lunch foods I hate. Like daikon, it does not have any flavor really, but I cannot stand it. Or the soup, every day the same soup, it has this smoky taste, and those weird gray things floating in it, AHHHHHHHHHHH Tofu everything has the worst tasteless tofu in it. I like tofu OK its just every day, its driving me mad! Even rice is making me a bit queasy now a days. I think its cause I must eat it every day and its usually the only thing I can stomach so I make sure to finish the entire portion even though i did not even want it in the first place. Today I just could not do it. I could not force down ANYTHING and as usual the kids at my table all commented on the fact that i had not eaten anything and the teachers giving disapproving looks. One little girl asked "on a diet?" NOoooooo, I'm not on a............yes! YES! I am on a diet! Yes that is it! So now that is going to be what I tell everyone. I think it is easier to understand and except rather that "Your food makes me gag." And the Japanese are ALWAYS asking you "Can you eat Japanese food?" When I first got here I was like "Yeah! I love sushi and udon, ramen, tempura, yakiniku, yakitori, yum yum gimme some! " but those are the Japanese foods that made it to the states and those specific ones made it for a reason. Cause they appeal to our western pallets. Now, everyday I eat things that are so unappealing, my body feels the need to let me know that it will not, not hold that gray jelly down for long, so dont put in in here cause it aint stayin!!

I mean I knew there were things that would gross me out. But honestly I did not realize how much I would grow to hate the food here. Shhhhh...dont tell anyone.

I eat Japanese food EVERYDAY and I think that is why i have developed such an aversion. Plus I am "encouraged" to finish my meal. (I never do, unless its curry day!) If I was having Japanese food every week or so, things would be different, but well obviously there is a problem because I have now been writing for the past 20min about how horrible the food is!!!


Not like there is something wrong with Japanese food in particular. I am quite curtain I could wipe up a meal full of Southern staples that I would find delicious, but would make the average Japanese person shutter.


Anyway, I just needed to vent about all of that.

OH! And I also hate squat toilets, but I am not going to go into the details about why those suck. You can use your imaginations.


I am having a great week though. Teaching is going really well. Tomorrow is my last day at Togashiranishi. And Tue will be my first day at my third school (Ina). Its a holiday and so will only be working Tuesday and Wednesday next week! So thats awesome!


Below are pics of me getting my fortune at the temple in Asakusa. You put 100yen into a slot, then you pick up that canister and shake it. There is a hole at the bottom and a chopstick comes out. On the end of the chopstick is a number in kanji. You find the corresponding number on the chest of drawers, pull your fortune out of the draw and VIOLA!

I got another good one! Yippie!

It said that I have been traveling since I was a child and that I will continue to do so!! WOW! And some other good stuff, cant remember now.






Well have a good week and be glad you dont have to use a squat toilette, or eat all of your own personal gross out foods everyday for lunch. HAHAHHAHAHAH


Talk to you soon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about you this morning because I have a cold and I thought that i should wear a mask like you said they do there. I decided that it doesn't work with my outfit. You look beautiful in your pictures. I miss you so much!
xoxo
-L bo

Anonymous said...

ewwww your poor belly. though i am a bit intrigued by this gray jelly. let me know if you find out what it is! miss you! love you!

darcy

Lauren Hudgins said...

Yes! I also hate squat toilets! The gray jelly stuff but is called konyaku made from the starch of a root vegetable. I can deal with it as long as I don't look at it. I refused to try it until the Chinese gaijin I met assured me it was just a harmless little root vegetable.

Anonymous said...

I dont know how u do it, i would just die, u know how i am about weird foods geez! im sorry marjie, i hope the food situation gets better, be like im allergic to it and bring ur own food everyday haha i dunno!

cute pics though!