Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Hot Dog Soup


I eat lunch with the kids every day. I love it. I eat what they eat, which is the school lunch. In Japan, the kids don't eat in a cafeteria, the lunch is brought to their class room and the kids serve the food to the other kids, even the lil ones serve it up! I love the whole thing. I sit at one of their tables and they all talk (in Japanese) about what they should ask me, and how to say it in English. We never talk about much, but it's just fun to hang out with them. The questions they ALWAYS ask me are: Do you have a boyfriend? (I was even asked this in a 2nd grade class) What is your favorite color? and What is your favorite food? After lunch is teeth brushing time. It is literally a time designated on the schedule. After lunch they play this one song over the P.A. All the kids get out their toothbrushes and off they go. It makes a lot of sense actually; we should do that in the States!!

Sometimes the lunch is great, sometimes it's bad and sometimes it's just strange. Like today for lunch I had cold broccoli covered in a dressing of some kind, hot dog soup????????? (It was soup with tiny cocktail weenies floating around in it!!) and a dough nut. That was my lunch. It was weird. Good but weird.

I love teaching. It's the best when the kids see you coming down the hall towards their class and they run towards you to carry your bag, or some run back to the class and yell "Majori Sensei!!!" and the other kids run out to see. What a stroke to your ego to make an entrance like that every day!!! And sometimes when I walk into the girl's bathroom some of the girls scream when they see me!!! HAHAHAH it's so funny! Or if I say hello to the kids sometimes the shy girls scream.

Also I need to tell you all that the hooky poky has saved my life!! Every time I finish my lesson and there is still 5 minutes of class, I pull out the good ol' hooky poky. The kids freakin LOVE IT!!! I have done the hooky poky more times in the last week than I ever did as a kid. I don't have it on a CD so I sing it. Man I am so glad you guys can't see me jumping around in the middle of a circle of a bunch of 4th graders, screaming "ya do the hooky pooky and ya turn yourself around" and shaking my butt!! I laugh to myself every time.


 

No comments: