Thursday, January 24, 2008

Random happenings

There is this kid in one of my classes who when he knows an answer and has his hand raised, if I dont call on him immediately he begins to wine, squeel and howl as if he is being beaten. It is so unbelievable and annoying. The other kids get so mad at him. Its really strange.

I saw my first pair of braces yesterday. One of my 3 grade students (That seemed a little young for braces to me. You still have a lot of growing to do at 8.) As you probably know the Japanese typically have terrible teeth. Even models and actresses and its very rare to see a big brace face around. but maybe its catching on. I think if I was in orthodontics I would move out here and set up shop, I bet you could make a million.

So today the two first grade teachers where away from school for the day. Im not sure why. So they scheduled me to teach a joint English lesson with both 1st grade classes....in the gym. at first I was excited and then when I thought about it a little more I was like, 'OH man this could suck.' All those tiny kids running around the gym while I try to teach them "How are you?". Anyway, I made a kick ass lesson and when to the gym armed to the teeth with my best games and distractions. When the assistant teacher Tamura sensei let the kids loose on the gym they immediately swarmed in like bees and made a few laps around the perimeter, screaming with glee. The lesson went OK. But it was hard to keep their attention and they were all very excited. Half way threw I looked down at the first row and saw two kids fighting. The kids often play fight so I didnt notice really. But then I realized it was real. Tamera sensei swooped in just as one of the little boys made contact with the other's face. It was like in slow motion for me. The little boy that took the punch was fine for a minute he stared back at his assaulter, hatred in his eyes. And then I suppose he realized it hurt and he began to cry. Tamura sensei whisked them both away to a corner of the gym to talk to them both. I carried on with my lesson, all the while watching them from the corner of my right eye. Later they emerged the little boy who had taken the punch was sufficiently humiliated. He sulked there the next few games, but the won the last game "Money Janken" as I call it. I was so happy for him.

Elementary schools in Japan and I would bet all other public schools, do not have central heating or AC. They cool with standing fans and heat with the most horrible contraptions. The stove, as they call it, is a humongous old, dusty, rusty thing. Its powered by kerosene and the fums make you ill, literally. Its cold in the winter here!! It snows and many of the boys are dressed in SHORTS and there is no heating. Its crazy.

1 comment:

Saru said...

random little things about being in japan is awsome...