Monday, January 28, 2008

Brief Encounter


I just watched this oldie for the first time a few weeks ago. Apparently everyone already knew it was one of the best films ever made. I don't know how I was not in the loop!! But anyway, I bought it and watched it and it was AMAZING!! I'm not at all familiar with classic British cinema (apart from some early Hitchcock). I need to get more acquainted, so I don't know who the actors are, but they were both unbelievable good. Its a love story about two married people in the middle of their lives who meet accidentally and fall in love. Most of the film takes place in a train station. The main female character did a really impressive job portraying someone who is really torn. She was so believable. She is not a very pretty actress which struck me at once, I must admit I love the beautiful glamorous Hollywood starlets of the 30s and 40s. She is not glamorous or beautiful. She is kinda mousy. She reminded me of the little monsters Ursula the sea witch turns people into for her garden. But I fell in love with this actress after this film. Man she was so amazing.

Anyway rent it or buy it if you have never seen it. It comes on TCM now and then. Its a really amazing film.

No comments: