Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Lana Turner

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
(pretty sure this is Lana and Johnny Stompanoto)

OK, what a life Lana Turner had!
I dont know if any of you will be interested in reading about classic film stuff. I know I said I was gonna do travel stuff, and I will, but I am not traveling yet so I am writing about movies right now cause I am into it. Also, I need to be writing more to prepare for my job, so I am putting a lot of random stuff up just because I need to keep writing every day.

So Lana Turner was in all these great famous movies, my favorites:

"The Postman Always Rings Twice" - Really good

"Imitation of Life" - Soooo sad, the original (with Claudette Colbert) is better; but this one is still good.

"Peyton Place" - So trashy and so good.

She had all these horrible boyfriends, lovers, husbands (7 husbands to be exact!)

One of which was actor Lex Barker (famous for his role as Tarzan during the mid fifties) who molested her young daughter (Cheryl) for several years during the time they were married. She divorced him when she found out.

Shortly after her divorce to Lex Barker she begins to date a gangster (Johnny Stompanato) who was both verbally and physically abusive to her. She was filming a movie with Sean Connery in England (in 1957) and Stompanato was suspicious that Lana was having an affair with Connery. He stormed onto the set with a gum. Sean Connery punched him in the face and took his gun. Go Mr. Bond!

Anyway, back to my story. So one night (in 1958) Lana's 14 year old daughter (Cheryl) can hear Lana and Johnny fighting in their bedroom. She is afraid for her mother so she runs to the kitchen and grabs a knife. Not really intending to use it but she is just scared. So she is outside their door listening to them fighting and the Johnny goes to leave the room; he swings open the door and walks right onto Cheryl's knife!!! She kills him. CAN YOU BELIEVE IT! Better than a movie, huh. It was a hug scandal at the time, as you can imagine.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Lana but I have to say Miss Jayne Mansfield is my new hero. I LOVED watching her in 'The Girl Can't Help It' and I hate that they called her 'The poor man's marylin' when she was obviously so much more than that..

Mia